Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Hallowed Ground



Marker ID: NPS 
Location: is at the intersection of Cemetery Road and Church Street, at stop 11, on the driving tour of Fort Donelson National Battlefield, Dover, TN
County: Stewart
Coordinates: N 36° 29.265    W 087° 50.815
  36.48775    -87.84691666
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Fort Donelson National Cemetery was established in 1867 as the final resting place for Union soldiers and sailors who died during the Civil War and were buried in this area. The cemetery occupies the site of the second Fort Donelson built in 1863 by Union soldiers and freedmen from the nearby freedmen's village. Initially 670 Union soldiers (512 of them unknown) were reinterred here from battlefield graves, local cemeteries, and nearby towns. Among the Civil War soldiers buried here are five known and nine unknown soldiers from the United States Colored Troops. No longer active, the national cemetery also contains the remains of veterans who served the United States in later wars.

The outer ring of headstones marks the graves of 62 soldiers from the 11th Illinois Infantry, killed resisting the Confederate breakout attempt of February 15, 1862.

Judge James E. Rice, prominent Dover citizen and civilian aide to Gen. Gideon Pillow during the Battle of Fort Donelson, visits the national cemetery about 1880. Note the cannon used as gate posts.



Erected by Fort Donelson National Battlefield - National Park Service - Department of the Interior.




Notes:

More information:
Wikipedia: Battle of Fort Donelson
NPS: Fort Donelson
NPS: Fort Donelson - Battle Summary