Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Eaton's Fort



Marker ID: THC 1A 36
Location: U.S. 11W, Sullivan County, 9 miles southwest of Blountville
County: Sullivan
Coordinates: N 36° 32.939    W 082° 26.985
  36.54898333    -82.44975
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMM4BY
 



Text:

Located 350 yards due south, Amos Eaton built this fort in 1774 as a refuge from Indians. It was refurbished in 1776, and about 200 militiamen garrisoned the fort where many families gathered. On July 20, these riflemen defeated Chief Dragging Canoe's Cherokee warriors in the Revolutionary War Battle of Island Flats. After the battle Capt. Joseph Martin's company of 600 men were stationed here.