Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Pactolus Ironworks



Marker ID: THC 1A 48
Location: U.S. 23, Sullivan County, south of Holston River
County: Sullivan
Coordinates: N 36° 29.827    W 082° 30.812
  36.49711666    -82.51353333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4PJB
 



Text:

Moses Cavett built the ironworks located here before 1795. Shortly after that year, John Sevier, his son, and son-in-law acquired it. It was owned later by E. & E. Embree, east Tennessee ironmasters, whose Pacotolus Nail Factory, located 1/4 mile downriver, was operated by Jonathan Wexler.