Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Acuff Chapel



Marker ID: THC 1A 51
Location: on Memorial Boulevard (State Road 126) 0.7 miles west of Barr Road, Blountville, TN
County: Sullivan
Coordinates: N 36° 32.067    W 082° 21.647
  36.53445    -82.36078333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4Z9J
 



Text:

Established in 1786, this was the first Methodist Episcopal Church to be erected on Tennessee soil. Bishop Francis Asbury preached here often. A ten-day revival held here by Rev. John A. Granada began the Great Revival of 1780-81. The chapel was named for Timothy Acuff, who gave the land on which it as erected, and whose son, Rev. Francis Acuff, was a convert at the Granade Meeting.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.