Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Bluff City



Marker ID: THC 1A 66
Location: at the intersection of Bluff City Highway (State Highway 44) and Fleming Drive on Bluff City Highway, Bluff City, TN
County: Sullivan
Coordinates: N 36° 28.391    W 082° 16.015
  36.47318333    -82.26691666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM68M2
 



Text:

When first a settlement, this was called Choate's Ford. With establishment of the Abingdon, Va-Knoxville stage line, it became known as Middletown. Laid off as a town, following completion of the railroad, it became Union. Early in 1862, it was named Zollicoffer, after the Confederate general. Renamed Union in 1865, it received its present name in 1887.

Erected by Tenessee Historical Commission.