Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Island Road - Oldest Wagon Road in Tennessee



Marker ID: THC 1A 99
Location: at the intersection of State Highway 394 and Island Road on State Highway 394, Blountville, TN
County: Sullivan
Coordinates: N 36° 33.436    W 082° 20.434
  36.55726666    -82.34056666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM5PP9
 



Text:

Island Road
Oldest Wagon Road in Tennessee
— America’s First Road to the Southwest —


This military road from Chilhowee, Va. to present day Kingsport was completed September 1791 by Major Andrew Lewis under command of Col. Adam Stephen. Upon reaching the Long Island of the Holston, the militia erected Fort Robinson to treat for peace with Cherokees.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.