Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Old Kingsport Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: THC 1A 117
Location: on Jennings Dr at W Stone Rd, Kingsport, TN ‎
County: Sullivan
Coordinates: N 36° 33.319    W 082° 35.768
  36.55531666    -82.59613333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4XTK
 



Text:

Old Kingsport Presbyterian Church was organized 1820 as the Boatyard Congregation. It predates the incorporation of Kingsport by two years. In 1846, Dr. Frederick A. Ross built the church on his property at his expense, utilizing the labor of his slaves -- who were members. He served as pastor from 1826 to 1852. In 1851, Dr. Ross deeded the church property to the New School General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church. The church moved in 1953 from near Netherland Inn to 2049 Greenway Street on lots donated by Octavia Patton.


Notes:

The church is on the National Register of Historic Places