Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Yancey's Tavern



Marker ID: THC 1A 136
Location: On Chestnut Rd just off of Memorial Blvd, Kingsport, TN
County: Sullivan
Coordinates: N 36° 32.914    W 082° 27.497
  36.54856666    -82.45828333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM56TQ
 



Text:

In 1779, James Hollis Sr. erected this house on Island Road, Tennessee's first wagon road, built in 1761. The Sullivan County Court met here from 1780 to 1792. John Yancey purchased the home in 1782, using it for Yancey's Tavern. By the 1840s, it was known as Shaver's Inn, a stage stop halfway between Deery Inn and Netherland Inn. From 1842 to 1866, John Shaver maintained Eden's Ridge Post Office here. In 1889, John Saphr purchased the house with 230 acres, and it became the residence for his farm.


Notes:

House and barn are still standing, and is a private residence. The farm is now mostly a cemetery.