Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Anderson Townhouse



Marker ID:  
Location: Tennessee 126 west of Church St., Blountville, TN
County: Sullivan
Coordinates: N 36° 31.983    W 082° 19.546
  36.53305    -82.32576666
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WM5Q3E
 



Text:

The log section of Anderson Townhouse was built in 1792/95. It housed the first town commissioners of Blountville: Richard Gammon (1750-1833), Major George Maxwell (1751-1821), and Colonel John Anderson (1750-1817). All these men served the American Revolution and held important civil offices. John Anderson, who lived and worked at the townhouse when in Blountville on commissioner duties, was the owner of the well-known blockhouse of the famed Wilderness Road. In addition to the town commissioners, the house has been home to a number of Presbyterian and Methodist ministers as well as Joseph Anderson, one of the founders of modern Bristol.

The kitchen burned about 1811. Successive owners by 1826 added the frame back wing and made general improvements in the interior.

As a part of America's bicentennial celebration the house was purchased in 1974 by the Sullivan County Historical Commission with funds donated by individuals, clubs and businesses and a grant from the American Revolution Bicentennial Administration. (1976).