Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Original Site of King College



Marker ID:  
Location: 501 5th Street, Bristol, TN
County: Sullivan
Coordinates: N 36° 35.395    W 082° 10.792
  36.58991666    -82.17986666
Waymark: WM6CMA
 



Text:

Established 1867 by the Prebyterian Church on land donated by Rev. James King "to give the benefits of a Christian classical education to young men of limited means." The Rev. James Doak Tadlock, DD was the first President (1867-1885). In 1917, the College was removed to its present site, a part of the original King estate, given by Rev. Isaac S. Anderson, DD, grandson of the founder.

King College - Bristol, TN