Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Sullivan County ~ Tennessee's Second Oldest County



Marker ID:  
Location: Sullivan County Courthouse, 3425 Tennessee 126, Blountville, TN
County: Sullivan
Coordinates: N 36° 31.985    W 082° 19.601
  36.53308333    -82.32668333
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Sullivan County
Tennessee's Second Oldest County


Sullivan County was established by the North Carolina Assembly’s October 1779 session; its north of the Holston River section formerly in Washington County, Virginia; and its south of the river section formerly in Washington County, North Carolina. Sullivan County included Hawkins, Hancock and part of Claiborne Counties until 1786. The piney flats area was added to Sullivan County in 1789.

The first Sullivan County officials were: Col. Isaac Shelby, Commandant; Henry Clark, Lieutenant-Colonel; David Looney First Major; John Shelby, Second Major; John Rhea, Court Clerk, Nathan Clark, High Sheriff; Court Justices-Isaac Shelby, David Looney, Gilbert Christian, Anthony Bledsoe, George Maxwell, John Anderson, Joseph Martin.

Sullivan County remained part of North Carolina until 1789 (some county areas supported the Franklin State movement 1784-1786), when it was placed in the United States Territory south of the river Ohio. In 1796 it became part of Tennessee.

Erected 1979 by Sullivan County to Commemorate its 200th birthday.