Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Beech Cumberland Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: THC 3B 29
Location: U.S. 3IE, Sumner County, in Hendersonville, East Main and New Shackle Island Road
County: Sumner
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The first Synod of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church was constituted Oct. 5, 1813, at the church located 6.4 miles northwest on Long Hollow Pike. The congregation was organized in 1798 by Thomas Craighead. In 1828, the stone building was erected with walls 3 ft. thick. William Montgomery, pioneer surveyor for the Federal Government, and John McMurtry, soldier in the Revolution, are buried in the churchyard.