Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Cold Spring School ~ circa 1857-1933



Marker ID: THC 3B 49
Location: intersection of North Broadway (TN 109) and Victor Reiter Parkway, Portland, TN
County: Sumner
Coordinates: N 36° 35.677    W 086° 31.704
  36.59461666    -86.5284
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

2.8 miles northeast is the site of Cold Spring School. It was built on land donated in May 1857 by Thomas Baskerville for a school and meetinghouse. Early in the Civil War, it was used by Camp Trousdale as a military hospital. There, in 1866, David Lipscomb organized the Portland Church of Christ. Landowners Jim and Bill McGlothlin gave the schoolhouse to the citizens of Portland for a museum of local history. In September 1975, it was relocated to Richland Park.