Historic Markers Across Tennessee



William Henderson ~ 1752 - circa 1807



Marker ID: THC 3B 53
Location: on Johnny Cash Parkway between Walton Ferry Rd. and Sanders Ferry Rd., Hendersonville, TN
County: Sumner
Coordinates: N 36° 18.309    W 086° 37.047
  36.30515    -86.61745
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMD4NG
 



Text:

Captain William Henderson was a Revolutionary soldier born in Virginia. He and his wife, Lockey Trigg, moved to Sumner County in the late 1790s and later bought property between Sanders Ferry and Walton Ferry Roads upon which they built a log home. The town of Hendersonville was named for him and he became the first postmaster in 1801. He was succeeded in office by two of his sons, Bennett, who served until 1811, and Littleton, who served until 1815. William Henderson was buried on this site around 1807.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.