Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Mt. Carmel Church



Marker ID: THC 4E 25
Location: on George D. Gracey Hwy. (TN 59) at Robert Johnson Rd., Tipton, TN
County: Tipton
Coordinates: N 35° 30.171    W 089° 36.286
  35.50285    -89.60476666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM392D
 



Text:

Founded in 1834, by James Holmes, a former missionary to the Chickasaw Indians, with the assistance of settlers from Bethany, Iredell County, N.C., the first church was built here in 1836, the congregation having previously met in a stable. Besides many prominent pioneers, several Confederate soldiers are buried here.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission