Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Salem Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: THC 4E 80
Location: 3310 Atoka Idaville Rd, Atoka, TN
County: Tipton
Coordinates: N 35° 26.156    089° 44.091
  35.43593333    -89.73485
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1B31
 



Text:

Organized June 19, 1836 by Rev. Henry Bryson, D.D., with 53 members. First house of worship was a log house built on 4 acres donated by Abner Matthews. First pastor, Rev. John Wilson, served from 1834 - 1865. Having fostered at least five other churches, Salem has been called a "mother of churches." Present sanctuary, erected in 1940, is the fourth building on this site. Adjoining cemetery predates the church and contains graves of Indians and slaves.



Tennessee Historical Commission