Historic Markers Across Tennessee



The Centennial Cutoff at the Devil's Elbow



Marker ID: THC 4E 116
Location:
County: Tipton
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

In 1836 John Trigg acquired land in this area known as the Devil's Elbow, the sharpest bend in the Mississippi River between Cairo and New Orleans. His plantation, called Devil's Elbow, included Island 37. Later divided, 500 acres became his daughter Lucy Stockley's place, Corona. On 7 March 1876 the river was shortened by 22 miles when it suddenly and violently changed its course, consumed most of Tipton County's 11th Civil Dist., and severed the remainder from the Tennessee Mainland, creating Centennial Island.