Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Clopton United Methodist Church



Marker ID:  
Location: on Brighton-Clopton Rd. east of McLennan Rd., Brighton, TN
County: Tipton
Coordinates: N 35° 26.889    W 089° 40.192
  35.44815    -89.66986666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1B30
 



Text:

Anthony Clopton gave this land for a Methodist church in the 1830's -- lush trees and flowing springs made the grounds ideal for "brush arbor" revivals, the early spiritual refreshment of the community. This tranquil setting was disturbed by the Civil War, over 500 volunteer Confederate soldiers from Tipton County trained here, the church itself was burned by Union forces and two cemeteries contain the remains of both Southern soldiers and slaves. After the War, the church became an early leader in education -- schools were operated until 1938 near this site. Clopton Church is known for generous emergency relief to families and in 1992 was a principal founder in "Tipton Cares". Entering the 21st Century, she remains a lighthouse and servant to a rapidly changing Tipton County.

The United Methodist Church