Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Warner Institute ~ 1876 - 1913



Marker ID: THC 1A 28
Location: on a side road near the intersection of E main St. at Clay Ave., Johnson City, TN
County: Washington
Coordinates: N 36° 24.259    W 082° 28.745
  36.40431666    -82.47908333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM5YCR
 



Text:

Built by the Holston Association of Baptist Churches in 1854, this building housed the Holston Baptist Female Institute, Tadlock's School for Boys (ca. 1866-67), operated by Confederate Colonel Robert Dungan. In 1876, Yardley Warner of the Society of Friends purchased the building and established Warner Institute, to educate "colored persons and train colored teachers." Julia B.Nelson and others from the American Missionary Association operated the school for the Friends. The school remained open until 1910, when the public school system began.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.


Notes:

The are two markers with numbered 1A 28