Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Science Hill ~ Male & Female Institute



Marker ID: THC 1A 58
Location: is on East Downtown Loop near North Roan St., Johnson City, TN
County: Washington
Coordinates: N 36° 19.1    W 082° 21.103
  36.31833333    -82.35171666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM55PC
 



Text:

Tipton Jobe, on Feb. 14, 1867, gave land on this hill above Nobb Spring where members of Science Hill Literary Society then built the first brick building in the area to house this school. It was dedicated Oct.27, 1867. The dedicatory sermon was by Elijah E. Hoss, later a bishop in the Methodist Church.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.