Historic Markers Across Tennessee



State Seal



Marker ID: THC 1A 87
Location: on East Jackson Boulevard (U.S. 11E) 0.1 miles east of Boone Street, in the median, Jonesborough, TN
County: Washington
Coordinates: N 36° 17.989    W 082° 28.029
  36.29981666    -82.46715
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM5YD1
 



Text:

One-quarter mile SW on the main street of Jonesboro stood the silversmith shop of William and Matthew Atkinson, designers of the Great Seal of the State of Tennessee. Although authorized by the Tennessee Constitution of 1796, the seal was first used on April 24, 1802, by Archibald Roane, the second governor. Because of legislative failure to provide for a seal, the first governor, John Sevier, used personal seals during his first three terms.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.