Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Johnson City ~ Incorporated - December 1, 1869



Marker ID: THC 1A 93
Location: on 235 E Main St., Johnson City, TN
County: Washington
Coordinates: N 36° 18.981    W 082° 21.168
  36.31635    -82.3528
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1M91
 



Text:

The town was formerly known as Green Meadows, Blue Plum, Johnson's Depot, Haynesville, then Johnson City. It is situated on land grants of 1782 to Robert and Joseph Young and in 1792 to Joseph Tipton. The town charter was repealed in 1879, but incorporated in 1885. The name honors Henry Johnson, prominent merchant and postmaster. As industrial and educational center, it is the home of Milligan College, East Tennessee State University, and Steed College.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.