Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Tree Streets Historic District



Marker ID: THC 1A 118
Location: on Southwest Ave. at Devine St., Johnson City, TN 
County: Washington
Coordinates: N 36° 18.476    W 082° 21.362
  36.30793333    -82.35603333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1M81
 



Text:

front
James T. Young built the first house of record around 1780 and established a burial ground beside the log cabin. In 1812, he constructed a colonial-style brick house in front, at 1117 Cedar Place. It remains the oldest occupied house in the city. This neighborhood consists of four land developments, the earliest being in 1892. The district derives its nickname from the many streets bearing names of trees. The city's oldest park, nearby Powell Square, is still in use.


rear
In 1909, George Carter created the last land development, the Southwest Addition, along with nearby industry, businesses, and houses. Other residents included Civil War General John T. Wilder, developerbusinessman J. Fred Johnson, illustrator-artist John Alan Maxwell, and author Catherine Woods Marshall. In 1996, the Tree Streets Historic District was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Tennessee Historical Commission