Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Colored Christian Church and Colored School ~ 1889



Marker ID: THC 1A 120
Location: at the intersection of W Main Street and Whitney Street on W Main Street, Johnson City, TN
County: Washington
Coordinates: N 36° 18.997    W 082° 21.461
  36.31661666    -82.35768333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4W0T
 



Text:

This 1889 structure, originally "the Colored Christian Church," now West Main Street Christian Church, was also Johnson City's second school building (1889-1891) for "Colored" children. It is the oldest church building and school building still standing in the city. Dr. Hezekiah B. Hankal, who founded the church ca. 1869, was a leader in establishing the city's earliest African-American schools. William Wolfe was principal (1888-1907) of the school in four different locations.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.