Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Sulphur Springs Camp Meeting Grounds



Marker ID: THC 1A 139
Location: on Gray Station Sulphur Springs Rd., west of Bayless / West Side Rd., Jonesborough, TN 
County: Washington
Coordinates: N 36° 20.897    W 082° 32.509
  36.34828333    -82.54181666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM68Y2
 



Text:

Sulphur Springs Camp Meeting Grounds - The Methodist church as conducted camp meetings here since 1820. Camp meetings are religious revivals at which participants eat and sleep on site. the first shed at Sulphur Springs Camp Meeting Grounds was erected in 1842. A new shed, 74 feet by 45 feet, was built in 1900, using hand-hewn logs taken from the original structure. Those who traveled long distances to attend the gatherings here, usually held in later summer, spent two to three weeks in brush arbors during the early period and in cabins during later years. Tennessee Historical Commission.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.