Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Forty Eight Forge



Marker ID: THC 3F 29
Location: U.S. 64, Wayne County, west of Forty-Eight Creek
County: Wayne
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

About 1 mile southeast, a water-powered forge was built in 1846 on the banks of Forty-Eight Mile creek. It was owned by the Pointer brothers, of Waynesboro, and its superintendent was Col. George W. Boyd, who had come here from Virginia in 1808. It used a large part of the output of Wayne Furnace, about 1 mile west.