Historic Markers Across Tennessee



The University of Tennessee at Martin



Marker ID: THC 4A 23
Location: on University St. (TN 431) west of Lovelace Ave., Martin, TN
County: Weakley
Coordinates: N 36° 20.590    W 088° 51.699
  36.34316666    -88.86165
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM17R0
 



Text:

Founded in 1900 by local Baptists at Hall-Moody Institute, later Hall-Moody Junior College. Following acquisition by Martin and Weakley County, State Legislature placed the College under the University of Tennessee in 1927; made it degree-granting and named it The University of Tennessee Martin Branch in 1951: and designated its present name in 1967.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission