Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Weakley County



Marker ID: THC 4A 39
Location: 116 W Main St, Dresden, TN
County: Weakley
Coordinates: N 36° 17.512    W 088° 42.513
  36.29186666    -88.70855
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM12V5
 



Text:

Weakley County was established Oct. 21, 1823, and named for Robert Weakley, then Speaker of the State Senate. In 1825, John Terrell gave 39 acres for the county seat. Martin Lawler, Richard Ridgeway, John R. Shultz, Perry Vincent, and Mears Warner, Commissioners, planned the town of Dresden, named for the German birthplace of Warner's father. Weakley County was one of the homes of Davey Crockett. Present courthouse, built in 1950, is the forth building to serve that function.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.