Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Janes Mill



Marker ID: THC 4A 40
Location: on TN 22 at James Mill Rd., Gleason, TN
County: Weakley
Coordinates: N 36° 13.927    W 088° 36.660
  36.23211666    -88.611
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM14DX
 



Text:

A large water-powered mill was established druing the 1830s on the middle fork of the Obion River, north of Gleason. It produced lumber, two grades of flour, shorts, cornmeal and cracked corn for feed, which was shipped by flatboat to New Orleans. Owned and operated from 1858 until 1917 by William D. Janes and his father, Edward Janes. Janes Mill was a community gathering place and provided for the needy during the Civil War.

Tennessee Historical Commission