Historic Markers Across Tennessee



McFerrin College ~ 1890-1924



Marker ID:  
Location: on Main St. east of College St., Martin, TN 
County: Weakley
Coordinates: N 36° 20.528    W 088° 50.563
  36.34213333    -88.84271666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM14ZP
 



Text:

his Methodist liberal arts college and preparatory school was financed and built by the Methodist people of Martin and deeded to the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Located one block south on a 6-acre campus donated by George W. Martin, it was named in honor of John B. McFerrin, prominent Tennessee preacher, editor and administrator. Its first presdient was J.T. Williams. Another well-known adminsistrator was George W. Morelock. After 1924, its buildings were used first by Martin High School, then Weakley County Hospital. Martin Primary School now occupies the site.

Memphis Conference Commission on archives and history - 1962
The United Methodist Chruch