Historic Markers Across Tennessee



The Rock House



Marker ID: THC 2D 35
Location: on Country Club Rd. south of Crossville Hwy. (US 70), Sparta, TN
County: White
Coordinates: N 35° 55.205    W 085° 24.235
  35.92008333    -85.40391666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2F06
 



Text:

Built of Tennessee sandstone between 1835 and 1839 by Barlow and Madison Fisk, the Rock House served as a frontier toll house and stagecoach inn allong the Wilderness Trail. President Andrew Jackson stopped here on his trips to and from Washington to visit Samuel Denton, owner and operator of the Rock House. Other notable visitors included President James K. Polk and Sam Houston.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission