Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Williamson - Davidson County Line



Marker ID: THC 3A 4
Location:
County: Williamson
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Williamson County
Established 1799; named in honor of

Dr. Hugh Williamson.


Colonel and Surgeon General of the North Carolina Militia, a member of the Assembly from Edenton, 1782; later elected to the Continental Congress where he served three terms; he was a signer of the Constitution from North Carolina. The county seat is named for his intimate friend, Benjamin Franklin.

Davidson County
Established 1783; named in honor of

Brig. Gen. William Lee Davidson


of North Carolina. Distinguished officer in the Revolutionary War. Served with the Army at Valley Forge. Killed in action at Cowan's Ford, North Carolina, 1781.


Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.