Historic Markers Across Tennessee



St. Paul's Episcopal Church



Marker ID: THC 3D 51
Location: 508 W Main St, Franklin, TN
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 55.419    W 086° 52.341
  35.92365    -86.87235
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

This "Mother Church of the diocese of Tennessee," was begun in 1831, four years after its congregation was organized in 1827. Here James H Otey, its first rector, was elected the first bishop of Tennessee. It was so damaged through use as a Civil War barracks and hospital that it had to be remodeled in 1870. It is the oldest Episcopal Church and congregation in Tennessee, and the oldest Episcopal Church building in continual use west of the Appalachians.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.