Historic Markers Across Tennessee



First Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: THC 3D 64
Location: U.S. 31 and U.S. 431, Williamson County, in Franklin, 5th and Main
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 55.433    W 086° 52.290
  35.92388333    -86.8715
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Established 1811 by Reverend Gideon Blackburn on 4th Avenue North near the old City Cemetery. Relocated here in 1842, it was used as a hospital during the Battle of Franklin. Present sanctuary was built in 1911 after fire destroyed the 1842 building. Rev. Blackburn, noted preacher, teacher, orator, founder of numerous churches, schools, and colleges, friend of Andrew Jackson, and missionary to the Cherokee Indians, died in Carlinsville, Illinois, in 1838.