Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Lotz House



Marker ID: THC 3D 69
Location: 1111 Columbia Avenue, Franklin, TN
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 55.072    W 086° 52.375
  35.91786666    -86.87291666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM88A
 



Text:

In 1858, the Lotz House was built on property purchased from Fountain B. Carter by German immigrant Albert Lotz, a master carpenter and piano maker. On November 30, 1864, before the Battle of Franklin, the Lotz family sought refuge across the street in the Carter House. When the Confederates broke through the Union defenses on Columbia Pike, they were halted by Union Col. Emerson Opdyke’s brigade, which was on both sides of the Pike, north of the Lotz House.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.