Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Abram Maury



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of Founders Pointe Boulevard and New Highway 96 (State Route 96), Franklin, TN
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 55.792    W 086° 53.748
  35.92986666    -86.8958
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Abram Maury (1766-1825) came to this area from Virginia in 1797 to settle on 640 acres he purchased from Major Anthony Sharpe. In 1798, he reserved a square-shaped area of 109 acres for a town he intended to name Marthasville for his wife. Instead, the town was named Franklin in honor of Benjamin Franklin. Maury, who was a prosperous planter, surveyor and state senator, donated lands for a public square, streets, and a Methodist Church. His log home, Treelawn, stood a short distance north. The nearby family cemetery, where he and Martha are buried, remains inside Founders Pointe.

Erected 1994 by Williamson County Historical Society.