Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Bank of Leiper's Fork / Hillsboro Methodist Church



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of Old Hillsboro Road (Tennessee Route 46) and Old State Highway 96 W, Franklin, TN
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 53.74    W 86° 59.87
  35.89566666    -865.1645
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3GYZ
 



Text:

Bank of Leiper's Fork


The Bank of Leiper's Fork was organized in 1911 with a capital stock of $10,000. Bank officials included President Bennett Hunter, Vice President P.O. Hassell and Cashier W.L. Pinkerton. Board members in 1932 included M.A. Meacham, J.C. Green, J.W. Sullivan, John Locke, H.L. Green, H.M. Cotton, G.A. Gore, and W.H. Bizwell. The bank closed on November 26, 1932 due to unprofitable returns, without loss to depositors or stockholders. The brick bank building burned in 1992 previously housing the cabinet shop of Ben Wilkes, stores owned by Gus Carl, J.T. Kelley and Carl McMillan and service stations operated by Fulton Stutts, Fred Conner, Herbert Furlough, Raymond Earl Howell, Albert Lee Ford, George “Buster” Pewitt and Ricky Binkley.


Hillsboro United Methodist Church


In 1910 the congregation of the Methodist Episcopal Church South of Leiper's Fork purchased a lot for the sum of $500. Over the next year, the current brick sanctuary, featuring a bell tower and front gable, was constructed. In 1939, the name changed to Hillsboro Methodist Church with the merger of the northern and southern Methodists. The current name dates from 1968 when the Methodists and United Brethren merged. Though electricity was added in 1942, the building remained largely unchanged until 1962 when the annex was built. Fellowship Hall was added in 1989. The memorial stained glass windows were installed in the early 1990s. The church is located 100 yards to the west.

Erected 2005 by Williamson County Historical Society.