Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Beasley Town



Marker ID:  
Location: on Granbury St. east of US 31, Franklin, TN
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 54.875    W 086° 52.571
  35.91458333    -86.87618333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3MN4
 



Text:

In 1899, W. J. Beasley and family came from Lick Creek to Franklin to establish a home and lumber mill. By 1920, Beasley was paying taxes on him home, sawmill, and 24 rental houses valued at over $10,000 in total. Originally, the rental homes were built to provide housing for mill hands and their families. After the mill closed, "Beasley Town" became an integrated community with low-rental housing for blue-collar workers and domestic servants. Families living along Cart and Granbury Streets were Langley, Peyton, Scales, Fitts, Beard, Hood, McCullough, Spencer, Robinson, Turner, Dixon, Refugee, and Williams. Pokey Morton maintained a store on Cart Street.

Williamson County Historical Society