Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Carnton Plantation



Marker ID:  
Location: 1345 Carnton Ln, Franklin, TN
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 54.285    W 086° 51.763
  35.90475    -86.86271666
Waymark: WM9JP
 



Text:

Carnton was built ca. 1815 by Randal McGavock (1768 - 1843), planter, political leader and mayor of Nashville. Named after the McGavock home in Northern Ireland, the house was greatly enlarged by Randal ca. 1826. His son, John, later added the Greek revival porches, one of which served as an observation post for General Nathan B. Forrest during the Battle of Franklin, Nov. 30, 1864. After the Battle, Carnton served as a hospital. The bodies of Generals Adams, Cleburne, Granbury and Strahl rested on the back porch the next morning. Carnton was acquired by the Carnton Association in 1978.



Williamson County Historical Society