Historic Markers Across Tennessee



City Cemetery



Marker ID:  
Location: at the Cemetery on 4th Ave. N, north of N Margin St., Franklin, TN
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 55.679    W 086° 52.358
  35.92798333    -86.87263333
Waymark: WM88D
 



Text:

The two-acre City Cemetery was deeded by Joel Parrish in 1811 to the town commissioners for $100. Among the early settlers buried here are Ewen Cameron, who built Franklin's first house, and Thomas Stuart, who served as Judge of the Fourth Circuit District from its creation in 1809 until 1836. Also in the cemetery are the graves of Col. and Mrs. Guilford Dudley, Sr. Colonel Dudley, born in Caroline County, Virginia, in 1756, is one of four Revolutionary War soldiers buried here. The others are David Squier, Miles Priest, and Moses Priest. The stone gates were erected by the old Glory Chapter D. A. R. in 1960 in honor of the pioneer men and women buried here.



Erected by the Franklin , Noon Rotary Club, 1999