Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Courthouse



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 31) and 3rd Avenue South, Franklin, TN
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 55.487    W 086° 52.134
  35.92478333    -86.8689
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM8TK
 



Text:

Williamson County's first courthouses, one log, one brick, were in the center of the square. This the third, completed in 1858 under the supervision of John W. Miller, is one of seven antebellum courthouses in Tennessee. The four iron columns were smeltered at Fernvale and cast at a Franklin foundry. It was used as Federal headquarters during the Civil War and served as a hospital after the Battle of Franklin. The interior was remodeled in 1937, 1964, and 1976. The annex was added in 1976.

Erected 1976 by Williamson County Historical Society.