Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Dan German Hospital ~ 1938-1958



Marker ID:  
Location: on 4th Ave., north of Chuch St., Franklin, TN
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 55.392    W 086° 52.153
  35.9232    -86.86921666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3MNJ
 



Text:

Side 1:
Dan German Hospital (1838-1958) Dr. Dan German (1875-1942) purchased the S.S. and Betty House home in 1937 and immediately began remodeling the mid-nineteenth-century residence into a clinic, veneering the exterior with fieldstone. The Review-Appeal best described the hospital's opening: "This clinic fills a long needed hospitalization facility for Williamson County. The building is modern in every respect and contains 12 rooms, consisting of offices for the three doctors, waiting rooms for both white and colored, operating, x-ray and treatment rooms, four rooms for patients and a ward room, baths, modern kitchen, and the second floor is given over to the nurses." A wing was added later to accommodate more patients. Dr. Dan German, Dr. Richard German, D.D.S, and Dr. Tandy Rice opened the clinic in 1938.

Side 2:
Dan German Hospital (1838-1958) The nursing staff included head nurse Ethel Jackson, Betty McDaniel, Mary Ellen Farmer, Stella Prince, Lottie Haffner, Annebelle Waller, Chris and Ann Davis, Sarah Mosley, Evelyn Carlisle, Lourine Veach, Sue Willie Hughes, Willie B. Hood, Mary Ladd, Marjorie Edgmon, Margaret Church and Edna Ragan. Clifton Claybrooks served as janitor and orderly. Pat Wade was bookkeeper. Dr. Harry Guffee (1913-1996) joined the clinic in 1941, served in the U.S. Medical Corps during WWII, and returned to practice in 1946. After the hospital closed in 1958, Graystone Nursing Home provided long-term nursing care until 1997. In 2003 the Heritage Foundation persuaded the Williamson County Commission to save the landmark, when plans called for a parking lot on the site.

Williamson County Historical Society.