Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Federal Forward Lines



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of Columbia Avenue (U.S. 31) and Fairgrounds Street, 1504 Columbia Avenue, Franklin, TN
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 54.594    W 086° 52.478
  35.9099    -86.87463333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM9MG
 



Text:

On November 30, 1864, Col. Joseph Conrad's and Col. John Lane's brigades of Brig. Gen. George D. Wagner's Federal Second Division, Fourth Corps, were placed east and west of the road near this position one half mile south of the Federal main line. Acting Federal field commander Maj. Gen. Jacob D. Cox had warned Wagner that if pressed too closely by the enemy to withdraw his two brigades into the main line. Instead of conveying this order to the forward line, Wagner commanded his brigades to stay in position and fight. Lt. Gen. A.P. Stewart's Confederate Corps flanked the Federal line to the east as Brig. Gen. Hiram Granbury's Texas Brigade pierced the center. The Federal line disintegrated into a stampede as the troops raced toward the main line near the Carter House.

Erected by Salt Creek Civil War Round Table Wheaton, Il. Save the Franklin Battlefield, Inc.


Notes:

More information:
Wikipedia: Battle of Franklin (1864)
Wikipedia: