Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Forest Home



Marker ID:  
Location: on Old Hillsboro Rd at Old Natchez Trace, Franklin, TN
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 58.557    W 086° 55.622
  35.97595    -86.92703333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM20HE
 



Text:

This community, which appeared on a early twentieth century map spelled "Forrest Home," is thought to have been named for Gen. Nathan B. Forrest, C.S.A., who found it a safe haven after his raid on Brentwood in March 1863. Forest Home is the center of what once were vast Perkins family plantations which included Hillside, Meeting of the Waters, Montpier, River Grange, Two Rivers, and Walnut Hill. For many years, two general stores face each other at this intersection. McPherson's store was the voting place for the 6th District. The nearby Perkins School for black children and Forest Home School for white children were closed by 1949. The Forest Home Church of Christ was organized in 1950.

Williamson County Historical Society.