Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Forge Seat



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of Wilson Pike (Tennessee Route 252) and Crocket Road, Brentwood, TN
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 58.625    W 086° 46.56
  35.97708333    -86.776
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Forge Seat was built in 1808 by Samuel Crockett III, one of a large family of Crocketts who settled on extensive tracts of land in this area during the late 1700's. The house took its name from an iron forge on the property where Crockett and his son, Andrew Crockett, made rifles, which were identified by their fine craftsmanship and initials "S. & A. C." engraved on the barrels. Andrew Jackson stopped here on the way to the Indian wars to arm his soldiers with Crockett rifles. Samuel and Andrew Crockett and the other family members are buried in this cemetery.

Erected 1993 by Williamson County Historical Society.