Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Fort Granger



Marker ID:  
Location: in Pinkerton Park, near the foot bridge, 405 Murfreesboro Road, Franklin, TN
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 55.32    W 086° 51.743
  35.922    -86.86238333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

In the spring of 1863, Federal forces commanded by Maj. Gen. Gordon Granger occupied Franklin. Construction of major fortifications began under the direction of Capt. W. E. Merrill, U.S. Corps of Engineers, the largest of them being placed on Figuers Bluff, .2 of a mile north on the Harpeth River. Fort Granger commanded the southern and northern approaches to Franklin and was adjacent to the critically important Tenn. & Ala. Railroad bridge. The artillery within the fort saw action twice in 1863 against Confederate cavalry forces. During the Battle of Franklin. Nov. 30, 1864 the site served as Hqtrs. of Maj. Gen. John M. Schofield (commander of U.S. forces) and as an active artillery position.

Erected 1989 by Williamson County Historical Society.


Notes:

More information:
Wikipedia: Battle of Franklin (1864)
Wikipedia: