Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Fort Granger — Hood's Campaign —



Marker ID:  
Location: in Pinkerton Park, near the foot bridge, 405 Murfreesboro Road, Franklin, TN
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 55.32    W 086° 51.743
  35.922    -86.86238333
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Fort Granger
Franklin Stronghold
— Hood's Campaign —


In September 1864, after Union Gen. William T. Sherman defeated Confederate Gen. John Bell Hood at Atlanta, Hood led the Army of Tennessee northwest against Sherman’s supply lines. Rather than contest Sherman’s “March to the Sea,” Hood moved north into Tennessee. Gen. John M. Schofield, detached from Sherman’s army, delayed hood at Columbia and Spring Hill before falling back to Franklin. The bloodbath here on November 30 crippled the Confederates, but they followed Schofield to the outskirts of Nashville and Union Gen. George H. Thomas’s strong defenses. Hood’s campaign ended when Thomas crushed his army on December 15-16.

Capt. Giles J. Cockerill, Battery D, 1st Ohio Light Artillery, commanded four 3-inch rifled cannon in Fort Granger on the hill in front of your during the Battle of Franklin on November 30, 1864. Cockerill’s guns fired 163 rounds and inflicted serious losses among the Confederates behind you and across the Harpeth River. Most of the shells fell on Gen. A. P. Stewart’s Corps, which formed the right wing of the attacking Confederate line, as it marched toward the Union defenses. Many Confederates later recounted the awful fire that poured into them from the fort across the river.

Fort Granger, named for Union Gen. Gordon Granger, was an impressive post. After United States forces captured Nashville early in 1862, they occupied Franklin within a few weeks. The planning and construction of a new fort north of the Harpeth River atop Figuers Bluff, adjacent to the railroad to Nashville, began a few months later. When completed, its interior encompassed almost 275,000 square feet. By early in 1863, it bristled with artillery, and several thousand troops were stationed there. Within a month, however, most of the Federal troops posted at Fort Granger were ordered east to join Gen. William S. Rosecrans’s army as it moved south. From that time until the Battle of Franklin, only a small garrison occupied the fort. The Federals hanged two Confederate spies there on June 9, 1863.


Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.


Notes:

More information:
Wikipedia: Battle of Franklin (1864)
Wikipedia: