Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Fourth Avenue Church of Christ



Marker ID:  
Location: 417 4th Ave N, Franklin, TN
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 55.504    W 086° 52.248
  35.92506666    -86.8708
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM88B
 



Text:

In 1833, a congregation of seventeen Christian's was organized in Franklin following preaching by Tolbert Fanning, Absalom Adams, and Alexander Campbell. Joel Anderson and Andrew Craig were other early leaders in this church, one of the oldest in the American Restoration movement. After Campbell's second visit in 1851, a brick meeting house was erected here on Indigo Street on a lot given by Thomas Hardin Perkins. The first service was held September 5, 1852. That building, used as a hospital after the Battle of Franklin, stood until it was ruined by a cyclone in 1927. The second church, which featured stained-glass windows from a 1914 edition, stood here for fifty years. The present structure was built in 1978.
Williamson County Historical Society, 1996