Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Franklin Special School District ~ Established in 1906



Marker ID:  
Location: on West Main Street west of 6th Avenue North, Franklin, TN
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 55.4    W 086° 52.359
  35.92333333    -86.87265
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3MTT
 



Text:

(side 1)
On October 27, 1906, the Franklin School Board was created by the Board of Mayor and Aldermen. In April 1907, the Tennessee Legislature officially recognized District Nine, Franklin City School System. The original Franklin Elementary School was built in 1907 at Five Points. Franklin Training School was added in 1912 to serve African American students in grades 1-12. In 1949 the Tennessee Legislature established Franklin Special School District as the First special school district in Tennessee with the authority to approve its own budget and to levy taxes to fund education. The school system has grown to include 7 schools educating children from pre-kindergarten through eighth grade and continues its legacy of high standards and quality education for all children.

(side 2)
Franklin Special School District
100 years of Excellence in Education

2006 Schools
Franklin Elementary
Freedom Intermediate School
Freedom Middle School
Johnson Elementary School
Liberty Elementary School
Moore Elementary School
Poplar Grove Elementary School
“Excellence in Teaching and Learning for All”

Erected 2006 by Williamson County Historical Society.