Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Grassland Community



Marker ID:  
Location: on Hillsboro Rd. (US 431) at Boxwood Dr., Franklin, TN
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 36° 00.687    W 086° 53.334
  36.01145    -86.8889
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM9MN
 



Text:

This site is part of the 1784 land-grant to heirs of Wm. Leaton, Jr.. The tract was settled in the late 1820s by Wm. Leaton, III. By 1801, John Campbell, John Stuart, Ephraim Brown, Wm. is Tarkington, and Joseph German were living in this area. Later Grassland families were Leigh, Motheral, Fulton, Sneed, Murrey, Armstrong, Hulme, Greer, Moran, Wray, and Hughes. In 1846, Prior Smith bought the Leaton farm and enlarged the two-room log cabin, the district's first voting place, to a 10-room house known as the Jeff Moran home. The community had blacksmith shops, country stores, a post office (1879 -1902), and Grassland School. Bethlehem United Methodist Church was organized in 1848.



Williamson County Historical Society